Hot Topics
News
Compliance
Regulations
Ask the Experts
Directories
Resources
About
Search
Home

Pollution Prevention and Control Technologies for Plating Operations


Section 3 - Chemical Recovery

3.6 ELECTRODIALYSIS

3.6.8 Residuals Generation

When applied as a chemical recovery technology to plating rinse waters, electrodialysis produces two effluents from the unit: a concentrated stream that is recycled to the bath and a dilute stream that is either reused as rinse water or discharged to treatment.

Typically, electrodialysis recovers up to 95% of the plating chemicals in the drag-out. The remaining 5% are lost when discharged from the rinsing system or directly from the recovery unit. This waste is typically treated on-site which generates a hazardous sludge (RCRA hazardous waste code F006).

Other miscellaneous wastes generated by this technology include spent pre-filtration cartridge filters and worn or damaged modules, electrodes and gaskets. No quantitative data were available for these other wastes.


Next Section|Main Table of Contents|Section 3