NCMSCompliance Assistance Centers

Funded by EPA
through a Cooperative Agreement


The information contained in this site is provided for your review and convenience. It is not intended to provide legal advice with respect to any federal, state, or local regulation. You should consult with legal counsel and appropriate authorities before interpreting any regulations or undertaking any specific course of action.

Plain English Guide to Regulations
Solid/Hazardous Waste Management

Obtaining an EPA Identification Number

RCRA regulations require Small Quantity Generators (SQG) and Large Quantity Generators (LQG) to obtain an EPA identification number. Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQG) are exempt (except in some states). EPA and states use these 12-character numbers to monitor and track hazardous waste activities. You will need to use your identification number when you send waste off site to be managed.

To obtain an EPA ID number, you should:

  • Download this RCRA Online.  The guide indicates for each state, whether you need to use the federal application form (EPA Form 8700-12) or an equivalent state form.  It also provides a list of state contacts that can provide assistance with completing the form.
  • Send the completed form to your state hazardous waste contact. This address is listed in the RCRA ID Guide and/or the information that you will receive from your state agency.

EPA and state agencies record the information on the form and assign an EPA Identification Number to the site identified on your form. The EPA number stays with the property when ownership changes. If you move your business, you must notify EPA or the state of your new location and submit a new form. If another business previously handled hazardous waste at this location and obtained an EPA Identification Number, you will be assigned the same number after you have notified EPA that you have moved to this location. Otherwise, EPA will assign you a new identification number.

| Compliance Assistance | Regulations | Directories | Resources | Hot Topics | News | Ask the Experts | Library | Online Training | About NMFRC | Search | Home |